L'histoire

Comté de Snohomish LST-1126 - Histoire

Comté de Snohomish LST-1126 - Histoire



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Comté de Snohomish

(LST-1126 : dp. 4080 (f.) 1. 328'0", b. 50'0", dr. 14'1"; s. 11,6 k. (tl.); cp;. 119; a. 4 40 mm ; cl. LST 1081)

Le comté de Snohomish (LST-1126) a été établi le 16 novembre 1944 par Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. de Seneca, Illinois, sous le nom de LST-1126; lancé le 9 février 1945 et a quitté Seneca le 23 février pour naviguer en bas des fleuves d'Illinois et de Mississippi à la Nouvelle-Orléans. Là, le LST-1126 a été mis en service le 28 février 1945, sous le commandement du lieutenant F. C. Helm, USNR.

Entre 1945 et 1960, le LST-1126 s'est déployé huit fois dans le Pacifique occidental. Sa première période de service là-bas eut lieu en avril 1945, lorsqu'elle quitta la Nouvelle-Orléans, traversa le canal de Panama, s'arrêta à San Diego Seattle et à Pearl Harbor, avant de continuer vers l'ouest. Alors qu'elle poursuivait son voyage, elle visita l'atoll d'Eniwetok ; le port d'Apra, Guam ; Saipan et Okinawa. Fin septembre, elle a rejoint les forces d'occupation chinoises après la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Opérant au large de la côte ouest des États-Unis à partir de San Diego lorsqu'il n'était pas dans le Pacifique occidental, le LST-1126 est revenu en Extrême-Orient en 1948, 1953, pendant les hivers 1945-55, 1957, 1958 et 1959-60. Le LST a également effectué trois vols de réapprovisionnement de la ligne DEW vers l'Alaska en 1949, 1950 et 1953. C'est le 1er juillet 1955, juste après son retour de son quatrième déploiement dans le Pacifique occidental, que le LST a été nommé comté de Snohomish (1926).

L'affectation permanente d'un escadron LST à Yokosuka, au Japon, a fait du déploiement de 1959-60 le dernier du comté de Snohomish jusqu'à l'escalade de la guerre du Vietnam. Jusqu'en 1964, il a opéré à partir de San Diego et a effectué deux croisières MidPac en 1961 et 1962. La deuxième croisière était à l'appui de l'opération "Dominic", une série d'essais nucléaires. À la fin de cette mission, elle est revenue aux opérations normales le long de la côte Pacifique.

En 1965, l'accumulation américaine au Vietnam a commencé pour de bon. En conséquence, le besoin de navires de soutien augmenta et le comté de Snohomish retourna en Extrême-Orient une fois de plus. Elle a effectué des périodes de service normales (cinq à sept mois à la fois) en 1965, 1966 et 1967. En 1968, elle a été envoyée en déploiement prolongé qui n'a pris fin qu'au printemps 1970, juste avant son déclassement. Sur chacun de ces derniers déploiements, le LST a fait le circuit du Japon au Vietnam jusqu'à Subic Bay aux Philippines. Pour la plupart, elle a transporté des hommes et des fournitures des bases américaines au Japon et aux Philippines au Vietnam; bien que, à l'occasion, elle ait reçu d'autres affectations, notamment une avec des opérations fluviales en 1968. Il y avait aussi des ports d'escale tels que Hong Kong; et Keelung et Kaohsiung, Taiwan où la guerre pourrait être oubliée. Comme par le passé, le Snohomish Country a repris ses opérations normales, ses exercices, ses exercices et son entretien à et autour de San Diego lorsqu'il n'était pas déployé en Extrême-Orient.

Le 22 avril 1970, le comté de Snohomish est revenu à son port d'attache de WestPac, le port d'Apra, à Guam, et est passé par une inspection et une enquête. Elle a été déclarée inapte au service naval. Le 1 juillet 1970, elle a désarmé à la Station Navale, Guam et son nom a été rayé de la liste Marine. En janvier 1971, sa carcasse a été vendue à Chin Ho Fa Steel and Iron Co., Ltd. de Taiwan pour mise au rebut.

Le comté de Snohomish (LST-1126) a reçu huit étoiles de bataille pour son service dans la guerre du Vietnam.


Everett et Snohomish County, Washington, Ressources de recherche

Alors que je creuse dans l'histoire plus récente de ma famille, le comté de Snohomish et Everett, Washington, et les régions environnantes ont joué un rôle énorme non seulement dans ma vie, mon éducation et ma culture, mais aussi dans plusieurs branches de ma famille, en particulier l'Occident. et côtés Knapp.

La famille West est venue du Michigan pour exploiter le nord-ouest du Pacifique, survivant dans des camps de bûcherons bruts au tournant du siècle. Une famille d'aventuriers, ils sont arrivés sur le Mayflower et ont apporté la « civilisation » à travers ce qui est devenu les États-Unis. Tout en ne laissant pas un impact énorme sur le comté de Snohomish, mon grand-père Howard W. West a gardé les eaux du nord-ouest du Pacifique en mer et à l'intérieur des terres toute sa vie, servant sur le nouvel USS Arizona 15 ans avant Pearl Harbor, élevant ses enfants à Marysville et plus tard au Le phare de Friday Harbour, et la mort en tant que sécurité pour le chef Joseph Dam.

La famille Knapp de ma mère a été forcée par la dépression de laisser derrière elle leur bien-aimé mais la pauvreté et les luttes dans la communauté forestière de Taylor Rapids, dans le Wisconsin, pour la côte ouest, à la recherche d'une vie meilleure. Ne connaissant rien d'autre que l'exploitation forestière, ils ont rejoint les camps de bûcherons de l'Oregon jusqu'à ce qu'un incendie détruise le peu qu'il leur restait. Ils ont déménagé dans la nature sauvage du comté de Snohomish pour travailler à la ferme de laitue Frye à Monroe, puis les équipes d'exploitation forestière ont tracé des routes à travers les contreforts forestiers des montagnes pour construire ce qui est maintenant l'ancienne route 2.

Deux des frères Knapp se sont mariés dans la famille Elwell, descendants du chef Seattle. Robert Knapp est resté avec sa femme, Evelyn Elwell (de Charles Elwell et Laura Stillman), à Lake Stevens. Lloyd a épousé Irene Elwell et a déménagé dans l'est de Washington. Wayne Knapp s'est marié avec la famille Odell de Snohomish, une autre famille de premiers colons, fusionnant encore plus les Amérindiens avec les immigrés blancs.

Le beau-père, le capitaine Elwell a embauché Robert et Wayne sur le remorqueur, Skagit Chief, manoeuvrant des bûches à travers les voies navigables dangereuses des rivières Snohomish et Skagit et Puget Sound. Au fur et à mesure que les routes s'ouvraient, les marchandises ont quitté les voies navigables et les deux frères Knapp ont trouvé des emplois comme gardes de sécurité à la prison d'État de Monroe. Wayne a rapidement déménagé à Seattle, gravissant les échelons jusqu'à la tête de la sécurité de Boeing.

Le comté de Snohomish a une longue histoire, remontant aux Amérindiens. Everett, Washington, a joué un rôle dans les deux guerres mondiales en tant que port protégé pour l'océan Pacifique. Tout récemment, un canon de la Première Guerre mondiale a été trouvé dans Clark Park à Everett sur Lombard Avenue, bien que non perdu dans le sens de perdu pour l'histoire, mais manquant du parc dans un mystère de plus de 10 ans. Il a été retrouvé dans une zone de maintenance du parc, oublié et ignoré. La ville essaie maintenant de trouver un moyen de restaurer et/ou de protéger ce terrain de jeu pour moi et les enfants, pour que nous puissions grimper dessus et prétendre que nous combattions l'ennemi en contrebas sur la baie.

L'aéroport de Paine Field a été nommé en l'honneur d'un pilote de la Première Guerre mondiale, et l'usine Boeing de Mukilteo, au sud-ouest d'Everett, continue d'être l'un des plus grands bâtiments de plain-pied au monde ainsi qu'un moteur majeur de l'économie et des transports mondiaux. système. La baie de Port Gardner, autrefois remplie de grumes tirées vers le bas des contreforts du mont Pilchuck et dans tout le comté de Snohomish, abrite toujours les vestiges de l'usine de papier, ce qui a permis à Everett de sortir de la Grande Dépression lorsque l'exploitation forestière s'est asséchée. Il est maintenant éclipsé par la nouvelle marina et la base navale à côté.

Everett était un carrefour pour le transport dans toutes les directions. De la mer aux montagnes à l'est à travers l'autoroute 2, complétée plus tard par l'autoroute North Cascades reliant la partie nord-ouest de la région à l'est de Washington pendant les périodes passables de l'année. Au nord se trouve Vancouver, Canada, le long de l'Interstate 5, et au sud, le long de la même autoroute, se trouve la ville industrielle de Seattle et pointe au-delà jusqu'au Mexique.

Dès les premières années, Everett et le comté de Snohomish ont joué un rôle crucial dans la vie des Amérindiens alors qu'ils étaient rassemblés et transférés dans la réserve Tulalip, qui n'abritait pas les Indiens Tulalip, mais un point de terre considéré comme un terrain vague par les représentants du gouvernement le long de les vasières boueuses de la baie de Port Gardner et de Puget Sound. Aujourd'hui, il abrite l'un des casinos et des hôtels les plus populaires de l'État, offrant à tous des noms populaires dans le domaine du divertissement, du jeu et du bingo non-stop.

Il y a tellement d'histoire à découvrir dans le comté d'Everett et de Snohomish, pour moi ainsi que pour ma famille. Alors qu'Everett, Washington, a sa propre page Wikipédia, je vous recommande de prendre le temps de lire Mill Town: A Social History of Everett, Washington, from Its Early Beginnings on the Shores of Puget Sound to the Tragic and I (Washington Papers) par Norman H. Clark pour en savoir plus sur cette région étonnante et son histoire.

Google a une chronologie fascinante de l'historique des recherches d'Everett, Washington. C'est un peu trompeur car il y a un Everett, Massachusetts, et de nombreuses personnes nommées Everett comme prénom et nom, et de nombreuses références à George Washington, pour qui l'État a été nommé, et à Edward Everett de Washington DC et George Washington l'histoire, donc les résultats remontant à 1760 se rapportent à des articles publiés sur ces sujets sans rapport. Cependant, il y a quelques joyaux historiques dans les références publiées sur le Web couvrant les émeutes de Bellingham de 1907 qui ont ensuite migré vers la prison d'Everett, le massacre d'Everett (un conflit de travail qui est devenu mortel en 1916), l'incendie du palais de justice de 1909, les annonces de l'entreprise et actualités, ventes et développement de propriétés, de nombreuses nécrologies, biographies, documents gouvernementaux, et plus encore.

Un trésor que j'ai découvert grâce à la recherche de la chronologie de Google était une annonce dans les archives d'actualités de la Voie maritime des Grands Lacs pour septembre 2007 :

Le samedi 19 septembre 1891, à 11h00, le bateau à vapeur CHARLES W WETMORE quittait Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie, chargé des matériaux nécessaires à la construction d'un moulin à clous, d'une fonderie de fer et d'un chantier naval pour la nouvelle ville d'Everett, dans l'État de Washington. Son skipper était le capitaine Joseph B. Hastings et il avait un équipage de 22 personnes.

L'une des rues principales d'Everett, le long de laquelle vivait mon arrière-arrière-grand-père, Perry West, est Wetmore. Je ne savais pas qu'un bateau à vapeur avait été nommé en l'honneur de cet homme, et comment ce nom était entré dans l'histoire d'Everett.

Voici une liste de référence de certains des sites historiques que j'ai trouvés en ligne qui aident à raconter l'histoire et l'histoire de la région.


HistoryLink.org

La tribu Snohomish comprenait la plus grande population amérindienne de cette région du comté. Ils vivaient le long des rives du Puget Sound de Warm Beach à Richmond Beach et le long de la rivière Snohomish jusqu'à Monroe. Les Stillaguamish (Stoluck-wha-mish) vivaient le long des fourches nord et sud de la rivière Stillaguamish, près de l'actuel Stanwood le Skykomish (Skai-wha-mish), le long de la rivière Skykomish, maintenant Sultan et au nord de l'Index le Sauk- Suiattle (Sak-ku-me hu) dans la région qui est maintenant Darrington et le Snoqualmie (Suqualmoo) près de l'actuelle Duvall et Monroe. Les tribus parlaient Lushootseed, la plupart utilisant le dialecte du nord, et suivaient le cycle traditionnel de la pêche, de la chasse et de la cueillette.

Hibulb (également hibulob ou Hebolb) était leur principal village. Située à la pointe nord de la péninsule d'Everett actuelle, Hebolb était orientée à la fois vers la rivière Snohomish et la baie de Port Gardner. Une palissade de cèdre a défendu les villageois contre les tribus en guerre.

Exploration européenne et américaine

Le capitaine britannique George Vancouver (1757-1798) a débarqué sur la plage au sud de Hebolb le 4 juin 1792, revendiquant la région de Puget Sound pour le roi George III et nommant des emplacements à proximité, notamment Puget Sound, Port Gardner Bay et Port Susan Bay. Vancouver n'a pas noté la rivière Snohomish, mais les archives de la baie d'Hudson l'énumèrent en 1824 sous le nom de « Sinnahamis ». La rivière a été désignée comme « Tuxpam » par l'expédition du gouvernement américain de Charles Wilkes (1798-1877) en 1841. La forme actuelle « Snohomish » date du U.S. Coastal Survey de 1854.

Le 22 janvier 1855, le gouverneur Isaac Stevens (1818-1862) et 81 chefs tribaux se sont réunis à Point Elliott (aujourd'hui Mukilteo) pour signer un traité entre les tribus régionales et le gouvernement américain. Le chef Snoqualmie Patkanim (vers 1808-1858) représentait les bandes Snohomish, Snoqualmie et Skykomish, cédant leurs terres en échange d'argent, de droits de chasse et de pêche, et d'une réserve établie à Tulalip. Le prêtre catholique français, le père Eugène Casimir Chirouse (1821-1892), a été affecté à Tulalip en 1856, établissant la mission Sainte-Anne et un pensionnat gouvernemental.

Établissement blanc précoce

La colonie de Tulalip Bay de 1853 a été décrite comme le berceau du comté de Snohomish. Le pionnier de l'île Whidbey John Gould (1823-1900), le trappeur de la baie d'Hudson Peter Goutre (1804-1875) et Jehial Hall ont jalonné des claims le long de la baie de Tulalip (qui fait maintenant partie de la réserve de Tulalip). Charles C. Phillips (1824-1867), qui dirigeait un service postal de canoë, et le pionnier de Seattle, le Dr Wesley Cherry (?-1854) ont rejoint Gould pour créer la Tulalip Mill Company et ont commencé à exploiter une scierie hydraulique. Hall a accordé l'accès à l'eau, à la terre et au bois sur ses terres en échange d'un partenariat dans le moulin. L'entreprise a été de courte durée : Cherry a été tué par les Indiens l'année suivante, et la réserve Tulalip a été formée à cet endroit.

Dans l'espoir de contrôler les troubles indiens à la suite du traité, la compagnie I, premier régiment de volontaires du territoire de Washington, dirigée par le colonel Isaac Ebey (1818-1857) a été envoyée pour construire un fort sur la rivière Snohomish. Les hommes sont montés à bord de la goélette Traquer en novembre 1855 et ont été remorqués par le vapeur Voyageur à une petite île à la tête d'Ebey Slough, à environ un mile au sud-est de Lowell. Ici, les hommes ont érigé un bâtiment en rondins de cèdre brut et l'ont baptisé « Fort Ebey ». Ils se retirent du site au début de 1856, après un hiver sans incident.

En 1860, le douanier fédéral de Port Townsend, Morris H. Frost (1804-1882) a construit un magasin et un saloon à Mukilteo et a convaincu Jacob Fowler (1837-1892) d'Ebey's Landing de le rejoindre en tant qu'associé commercial. Le pionnier Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) a recherché des opportunités le long de la rivière Snohomish et s'est finalement installé dans ce qui allait devenir la ville de Snohomish. Ferguson a déménagé une maison préfabriquée à cet endroit et est devenu un résident permanent en 1860. Sa petite maison existe toujours aujourd'hui.

Au fur et à mesure que la population augmentait, les colons locaux ont adressé une pétition à la législature territoriale pour développer un comté séparé, et le comté de Snohomish, qui faisait à l'origine partie du comté d'Island, a été formé le 14 janvier 1861. Mukilteo est devenu le siège temporaire du comté jusqu'à ce qu'une élection de juillet le déplace à Snohomish.

De riches terres agricoles et un accès facile à l'eau ont attiré les colons et les colonies ont également commencé à Lowell, Monroe, Stanwood et Edmonds. À l'approche de l'État de Washington, Snohomish City était le centre culturel, financier et politique du comté. La petite communauté comprenait désormais une école, une bibliothèque, une collection scientifique et même une société Athenaeum. En 1876, le journaliste Eldridge Morse a commencé à publier un journal territorial très respecté appelé L'étoile du Nord.

Pendant les années territoriales de Washington, la péninsule qui allait devenir Everett était principalement exploitée par des entreprises attirées par ses arbres anciens et la proximité des usines de Port Gamble et d'Utsaladdy. Une douzaine de colons et de squatters ont également choisi cet endroit.

En 1862, le reclus Dennis Brigham (1807-1887) s'installa au bord de la baie. Erskine D. Kromer (1836-1885) est venu installer des lignes télégraphiques, est resté, a revendiqué une propriété familiale, a épousé une femme Salish de la côte et a commencé à élever une famille. La même année, Jacob (1837-1916) et David Livingston (1830-1913) installèrent un développement au bord de la baie (aujourd'hui Harborview Park, Everett) et le nommèrent Western New York. Alors que les frères Livingston n'ont vendu que quelques lots, ils ont construit et exploité la première scierie à vapeur du comté. L'année suivante, Leander Taylor et Clarence Bagley ouvrent un magasin sur le site de Hebolb et construisent le sloop Rébecca. Dans les années 1870, Mukilteo se vantait d'avoir la brasserie Eagle ainsi que la première conserverie de poisson du territoire de Washington.

Le chemin de fer, la fièvre de l'or et Everett

Le comté de Snohomish s'agrandit, comme tout le nord-ouest du Pacifique, avec l'arrivée du chemin de fer. Le 4 juillet 1889, Joseph Pearsall a trouvé de l'or et jalonné une concession à Monte Cristo. Cela a attiré des prospecteurs dans la région et a contribué à consolider les plans de développement d'une ville industrielle à Port Gardner Bay.

Espérant que le Great Northern Railroad toucherait d'abord la marée ici, le bûcheron de Tacoma Henry Hewitt Jr. (1840-1918) a convaincu les investisseurs de la côte est, dont John D. Rockefeller (1839-1937), d'investir dans la ville qui allait devenir Everett. Avec l'argent Rockefeller dans le mix, d'autres spéculateurs se sont rapidement joints, convaincus qu'une entreprise Rockefeller ne pouvait pas échouer. Ainsi, l'Everett Land Company a été formée et des équipes de travail ont commencé à défricher les terres à l'été 1891.

L'économie d'Everett s'est développée autour de quatre industries principales : une clouterie, une fonderie, une usine de barge à dos de baleine et une papeterie à Lowell. Mais la panique argentée de 1893 a stoppé le boom et Rockefeller a vendu ses intérêts. Lorsque l'économie nationale s'est améliorée en 1899, les avoirs de la Everett Land Company ont été transférés à la Everett Improvement Company, financée par l'argent du magnat des chemins de fer James J. Hill (1838-1916). Bientôt, Everett possédait de nombreux moulins à bois et à bardeaux, des usines sidérurgiques, des établissements de construction navale, une brasserie, un moulin à farine et une conserverie au bord de l'eau. La Improvement Company a également construit des parcs municipaux et un théâtre.

Une âpre controverse sur l'emplacement du siège du comté s'ensuivit entre la ville établie de Snohomish et la ville parvenue d'Everett. Cette controverse a fait rage de 1894 à 1897 à travers des votes publics, des appels et des décisions de justice. Les deux parties ont affirmé des irrégularités de vote. Everett est devenu le siège du comté en 1897.

Travail, patronat et progressistes

En 1910, on estimait qu'un cinquième de la population d'Everett était employé dans les usines, où les conditions de travail étaient dangereuses et longues. Le chemin de fer et l'exploitation forestière présentaient des dangers égaux. Les syndicats ont rapidement acquis une base solide à Everett. Lorsque le premier numéro du Journal du travail a été publié à Everett le 26 février 1903, le journal répertoriait 31 syndicats avec un effectif combiné de 2 500 dans une ville dont la population totale était d'environ 10 000. Les syndicats de cuisiniers et de serveurs, de blanchisseurs et de fabricants de cigares comprenaient des femmes dans leurs rangs.

La direction et les patrons du bois étaient de fervents opposants aux syndicats, et le comté de Snohomish est devenu un terrain fertile pour débattre des problèmes de main-d'œuvre. Les haut-parleurs de boîte à savon étaient courants, en particulier à Everett, où il y avait beaucoup de progressistes, voire de socialistes. Le sénateur de l'État John Campbell (1880-1924), un progressiste d'Everett et un Journal du travail manager, a adopté un projet de loi sur la journée de travail de 8 heures pour les femmes de Washington en 1911. La journaliste Anna Agnes Maley (1872-1918) est arrivée à Everett pour éditer le journal socialiste, le Commonwealth, et est resté assez longtemps pour se présenter au poste de gouverneur de l'État de Washington en 1912.

Les Industrial Workers of the World (IWW ou Wobblies) ont obtenu un solide soutien dans les camps de bûcherons du comté de Snohomish. Comme l'a exprimé un ancien bûcheron dans une interview en 1974, « vous deviez juste vous joindre à nous » (Wardell). À Everett, cependant, on s'est joint au péril. Les membres d'IWW ont été mis sur liste noire, incapables de trouver du travail dans les usines. Lorsque les tisserands de bardeaux d'Everett se sont mis en grève pour les salaires, les Wobblies ont apporté leur soutien. Les événements culminèrent le 5 novembre 1916 avec le massacre d'Everett, une confrontation syndicale entre les IWW et les hommes de loi du comté qui fit deux morts et au moins cinq Wobblies, et des dizaines de blessés.

Première Guerre mondiale à 1929

La Première Guerre mondiale a anéanti les espoirs des radicaux et le comté de Snohomish a fermement soutenu l'effort de guerre. L'économie prédominante était maintenant l'exploitation forestière, avec 130 scieries de bois et de bardeaux, dont Weyerhaeuser, Clough-Hartley, Jamison, Index-Galena, Sultan Railway and Timber, Rucker Brothers Mill, Puget Mill Company (Pope et Talbot) et Merrill & Ring Logging . Le tremblement de terre de 1923 à Tokyo a déclenché un boom du bois dans le nord-ouest du Pacifique, sortant la région de la récession et alimentant un développement qui a duré jusqu'au krach boursier.

La base agricole du comté de Snohomish s'est également développée avec l'ajout de laiteries et de fermes d'œufs. Alderwood Manor a été créé lorsque la Puget Mill Company a vendu des parcelles de cinq acres et construit une ferme de démonstration d'œufs et de volaille. Le condenseur d'Arlington a commencé en 1921 et a fonctionné jusqu'à la fin des années 1950.

La Grande Dépression du comté de Snohomish

Pendant les temps difficiles des années 1930, les rapports du gouvernement ont classé le comté de Snohomish comme l'un des comtés les plus nécessiteux de l'État. Son économie de bois s'est effondrée. Les moulins ont fermé et redémarré, pour ensuite fermer à nouveau. Le comté de Snohomish n'a pas tardé à faire la queue pour l'aide gouvernementale délivrée par le biais de la National Industrial Recovery Act (NRA), de la Works Progress Administration (WPA) et de la Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC).

Les principaux projets comprenaient l'expansion du parc forestier d'Everett, une nouvelle bibliothèque publique d'Everett, l'auditorium civique d'Everett et un aéroport de comté, les débuts de Paine Field. Les travailleurs de la CCC ont construit des camps importants à Darrington, Sultan et Index les postes de garde des immeubles de bureaux Verlot à Index, Barlow Pass, Bedal et Suiattle River et ont créé le Monte Cristo Ranger District.

Les politiciens de Washington

Les années 1920 et 1930 ont vu la montée en puissance des femmes politiques, dont Alice Kerr (1858-1949) qui est devenue maire d'Edmonds en décembre 1925, trois mois avant que Bertha Knight Landes (1868-1943) ne prenne ses fonctions de maire de Seattle.

Le propriétaire républicain du moulin Roland H. Hartley (1864-1951) d'Everett est devenu gouverneur en 1924 et a exercé deux mandats difficiles. Monrad C. Wallgren d'Everett (1891-1961) a été élu à la Chambre des représentants des États-Unis en 1932. En tant que nouveau représentant démocrate, Wallgren a été réélu pour trois autres mandats à la Chambre, puis pour un mandat en tant que sénateur américain en 1940, puis a été le 13e gouverneur de l'État de Washington. Le politicien le plus influent du comté de Snohomish était peut-être le démocrate Henry M. Jackson (1912-1983) d'Everett dont la carrière au Congrès s'est déroulée de 1940 à sa mort en 1983.

La Seconde Guerre mondiale et la croissance d'après-guerre

À la suite du bombardement de Pearl Harbor, les citoyens d'Everett gardaient leur front de mer, observant d'abord par équipes du haut du bâtiment médical dentaire de la ville. L'Everett Pacific Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, exploitée par Pacific Car and Foundry of Seattle, a commencé la production en temps de guerre sur le front de mer d'Everett en 1942. Everett Marine Ways, le chantier naval Carl E. Edlund et le chantier naval de Stanwood ont signé un contrat pour construire des navires pour la Marine comme bien. L'aéroport d'Arlington est devenu une base de la Marine, fournissant des Grumman Fighters pour le service dans le Pacifique. Boeing Aircraft Company exploitait deux usines d'assemblage d'avions à Everett, employant principalement des femmes. En 1943, Paine Field a été converti en base militaire.

La croissance après la Seconde Guerre mondiale dans le nord-ouest du Pacifique a rapidement relié les zones rurales et les petites villes. La construction d'autoroutes reliait Stanwood, Snohomish et Monroe à Everett, Seattle, Tacoma et Bellingham. Et des villes comme Edmonds, Brier, Woodway, Mountlake Terrace et Lynnwood se sont développées, étouffant ce qui restait de Meadowdale et d'Alderwood Manor. Les limites de Bothell se sont déplacées au nord du comté de King. Confiné par sa péninsule, Everett s'est étendu vers le sud. Les Everett Herald a commencé son bureau du comté du Sud en mai 1954. L'exploitation forestière dominait toujours l'économie, mais maintenant les bûcherons utilisaient des scieries portatives et des camions pour transporter facilement les grumes pour le broyage.

La présence Boeing

En 1967, Boeing a commencé à construire l'usine 747 près de Paine Field d'Everett, initiant ainsi une croissance rapide de la population dans le comté. La petite ville de Mukilteo a connu des changements immédiats lorsqu'une ligne de chemin de fer escarpée a été construite à travers le ravin japonais depuis les voies Great Northern dans la vieille ville de Mukilteo jusqu'au site de l'usine Boeing.

On a dit aux résidents que la nouvelle industrie serait « à l'épreuve de la récession », mais Boeing a rapidement souffert des périodes difficiles à l'échelle nationale qui ont commencé en 1970. Boeing a continué à avoir des bons et des mauvais moments, mais reste le plus grand employeur du comté.

Ces dernières décennies

Les problèmes de croissance dominent la vie des villes et des comtés depuis les années 1970. Une grande partie des terres agricoles du comté a été vendue pour l'immobilier, et les routes autrefois pittoresques sont devenues des autoroutes avec des numéros au lieu de noms. Lorsqu'un port d'attache d'Everett Navy a été planifié dans les années 1980, un groupe de citoyens s'est formé pour s'opposer à ces plans. Mais le licenciement de 300 employés par Weyerhaeuser et son annonce de la fermeture des opérations d'Everett ont rallié les électeurs à une écrasante majorité de la base navale d'Everett, qui a été inaugurée en 1994.

Les écologistes ont réussi à préserver d'importantes zones humides et habitats naturels du comté, et en 2006, le site Web du comté s'enorgueillit d'un estuaire de la rivière Snohomish qui abrite 350 espèces d'oiseaux, de mammifères et de plantes. Un nouveau programme de comté a été mis en place pour sauver les terres agricoles et les espaces ouverts restants, et le gouvernement du comté encourage un programme de rétablissement du saumon de la rivière Snohomish pour sauver une population de poissons en déclin.

En 2006, le comté de Snohomish est l'une des communautés les plus dynamiques des États-Unis. Son économie est un mélange de technologie, d'aérospatiale, d'entreprise de services, de métiers du bâtiment et de tourisme. Le comté abrite trois tribus amérindiennes reconnues par le gouvernement fédéral, les Stillaguamish, les Sauk-Seattle et les Tulalip. Les Tulalips (à l'origine les groupes Snohomish, Snoqualmie et Skykomish) sont devenus prospères grâce à leurs entreprises de casino et d'immobilier. Ils prévoient d'agrandir le casino, d'ajouter plus de magasins, un hôtel et un musée tribal tant attendu.

Boeing surfe actuellement sur une vague de prospérité. Lynnwood prévoit d'autoriser des bâtiments de 35 étages et Snohomish a du mal à s'adapter à la croissance nécessaire tout en conservant son caractère rural et historique de bed and breakfast. Everett, dont la population s'élevait à 101 100 habitants en 2006, a des plans monumentaux qui incluent un rezonage pour le développement à haute densité dans le quartier central des affaires et le front de mer. Malgré ces changements, il existe toujours un fort sentiment rural dans de nombreuses petites villes du comté de Snohomish telles qu'Index, Granite Falls, Arlington, Verlot et Darrington. Les visiteurs n'ont pas besoin de voyager loin pour atteindre certaines des zones de loisirs les plus pittoresques de l'État de Washington.

Montagne du cheval blanc de Darrington

Carte postale avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett

Comté de Snohomish, Washington

Avec l'aimable autorisation du ministère de l'Agriculture des États-Unis

Monte-Cristo, 1896

Collection de courtoisie Cameron/Lindgren

Lycée, Snohomish, années 1900

Exploitation forestière dans le district de Wagner, comté de Snohomish, années 1900

Avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett (Nég. 0212)

Phare de Mukilteo (Carl Leick, 1906), 1908

Photo de Robert J. Young, avec la permission de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett (Nég. 0212)

Scierie Clough-Hartley, Everett, 1915

Avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett (Nég. JMills-Clough-Hartley)

Bassin glaciaire, comté de Snohomish

Carte postale avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett

Bord de mer d'Everett, env. 1900

Carte postale avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett

Jour du traité, réserve indienne de Tulalip, 1914

Photo de J. A. Juleen, avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett (Neg. JTreatyDay-9)

Works Progress Administration plantation d'arbres, Forest Park, Everett, ca. 1935

Avec l'aimable autorisation de la bibliothèque publique d'Everett (Nég. 1178)

Mount Index et Stevens Pass Highway, 1940

Bâtiment administratif, Maison de correction d'État, Monroe, 1940

Pont Lincoln, rivière Stillaguamish, Arlington, années 1900

Voiture de chemin de fer de l'Est de Hartford devant Big Four Inn, Big Four Mountain, début des années 1930


L'USS Snohomish County navigue sur le site Web d'un ancien marin

Faites-moi tomber, nous étions célèbres. Il y avait un navire nommé USS Snohomish County (LST 1126).

Le maître de 3e classe Calhoun &ldquoBuddy&rdquo Benton a servi sur le navire de 1953 à 1957 en tant que second électricien. Le natif de Caroline du Sud adore ce navire disparu depuis longtemps. Il a dit qu'il espère un jour trouver une ancre ou une cloche à mettre dans un musée pour honorer cet homonyme du comté.

De nombreux navires amphibies tels que le comté de Snohomish ont été construits au cours de cette période mais n'ont jamais été nommés et ont été mis hors service après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, puis vendus ou donnés à d'autres pays, a-t-il déclaré.

Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, a déclaré Benton, il a été décidé qu'un nouveau type de navire était nécessaire pour la guerre amphibie. Plus de 1 000 réservoirs de navires de débarquement ont été construits. Beaucoup d'entre eux ont été utilisés lors de l'invasion du jour J de 1944 en Normandie, en France.

Benton, qui avait 19 ans lorsqu'il est monté à bord, a compilé l'histoire du navire, qui a servi pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale et la guerre de Corée. Voici quelques faits saillants :

1954 : Le navire a effectué son quatrième voyage dans l'océan Pacifique occidental.

1955 : 1 juillet 1955, a été nommé USS Snohomish County (LST 1126). C'était la première fois que les chars des navires de débarquement recevaient des noms.

Dan Bates / Le Messager

1956 : fait sa cinquième tournée dans le Pacifique occidental.

1957 : Quitte son port d'attache de San Diego et se dirige vers le Japon.

1958 : A organisé une fête de Noël pour un orphelinat à Kure, au Japon.

1959 : Les visites portuaires incluent Sasebo, Japon Subic Bay, Philippines et Chin Hai, Corée.

1960 : Suit une formation amphibie à San Diego.

1961 : Participation à l'opération Greenlight, l'une des plus grandes opérations conjointes jamais menées sur la côte ouest.

1962 : Transport de fournitures vers un site d'essais de bombes atomiques. Bien qu'à des kilomètres de là, certains marins ont pu constater les effets des explosions nucléaires sur l'île Christmas.

1963 : a transporté 24 750 tonnes de véhicules et d'équipements de la marine et de l'armée, et 6 600 soldats, et parcouru 12 177 milles à la vapeur, le tout sans manquer un seul engagement.

1964 : De retour d'Hawaï, retour à un programme chargé d'opérations locales.

1965 : Le comté de Snohomish a commencé ses premières opérations au Vietnam en mars, livrant des Marines à Da Nang.

1966 : A servi au Japon, à Hawaï, en Chine et au Vietnam.

1967 : Sélectionné par le commandant de l'activité de soutien naval pour participer à l'échouage initial des réservoirs des navires de débarquement dans le bassin de la rivière Cua Viet près de Dong Ha, au Vietnam.

1968 : visite de Newport, Oregon, accueillant 2 500 visiteurs à bord lors de la journée de fidélité.

1969 : Plus de temps au Vietnam, au Japon et aux Philippines.

1970 : Le 28 février, l'USS Snohomish County a célébré son 25e anniversaire de service continu.

Le 22 avril 1970, le navire a quitté le Japon pour Guam pour son dernier voyage. À son arrivée à Guam, le comté de Snohomish a été déclaré impropre à la mer. Il a été mis hors service le 1er juillet 1970 et vendu à la ferraille à Chin Ho Fa Steel & 38Iron Co. Ltd. de Taiwan.

"Il n'y a pas de chars de navire de débarquement dans la Marine", a déclaré Benton. &ldquoLe dernier a été offert il y a quelques années.&rdquo

Les recherches de Benton sont disponibles sur http://lst1126.com. Il aimerait que son site Web soit lié à la section historique du site Web du comté de Snohomish afin que les gens puissent en apprendre davantage sur le navire, a-t-il déclaré.

En juin, dans le comté de Whitfield, en Géorgie, des artefacts de l'USS Whitfield County seront remis à un groupe qui prévoit d'exposer la cloche du navire, une maquette et son histoire.

« Sûr, ce serait bien si le comté de Snohomish faisait quelque chose de similaire », a déclaré Benton.

Il est probablement trop tard pour récupérer la cloche ou l'ancre, mais nous pouvons préserver la mémoire du navire.


HistoryLink.org

Snohomish, située dans le comté de Snohomish, est une petite ville de 9 000 habitants, située de manière pittoresque sur le versant de la rive nord de sa rivière homonyme. Coulant vers le nord-ouest, la rivière Snohomish commence six milles en amont au confluent des rivières Snoqualmie et Skykomish, près de l'actuelle Monroe, et se termine à environ 12 milles en aval où elle se jette dans la baie de Port Gardner (partie de Puget Sound) entre Everett et Marysville. Le nom de Snohomish City a été utilisé pour la première fois sur le plat de 1871 qui rejoignait les claims ouest et est de Union Avenue, alors long de trois pâtés de maisons. (Le « Snoh- » [Sdhub-] peut être lié au mot Lushootseed pour l’homme [stub]. Le suffixe « –omish » signifie les gens de Lushootseed, la langue parlée par les Snohomish et d’autres peuples autochtones de la région.) a déposé des revendications des deux côtés de la rivière en 1859, pensant que la circulation sur une nouvelle route militaire paierait généreusement pour un service de traversier. Il ne devait pas être. Instead, a steady increase in steamship service brought loggers and supplies to camps up and down the river, followed by family farmers. Snohomish grew to become the economic and cultural center of the county, and served as county seat for 36 years (which it lost to Everett in 1897). Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Geography and Early History

Stretching from present-day Everett to Snoqualmie Falls, some 60 miles to the south, Glacier Lake Snohomish drained through the Redmond Delta approximately 14,000 years ago, and the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish rivers were incised into the valley floor. The town site is located on a low-elevation landform known as the Getchell Hill Plateau, flanked by the Snohomish Estuary to the west, the Pilchuck outwash channel to the east, and the Snohomish River Valley to the south. The river valley is wide and flat, created through thousands of years of glacial movement and flowing meltwater, and bounded by morainal hills with steep sides -- often described in scientific literature as a "bathtub."

The river itself is characterized by meander arms and oxbow lakes, which developed as the river flooded and changed course within the expansive valley. Hunter-fisher-gatherer sites identified along the Snohomish and Pilchuck rivers indicate human habitation beginning as early as 8,000 years ago. However, the sea level did not stabilize in the Puget Sound region until around 5,000 years ago at that time salmon runs and shellfish beds became established and could be eventually harvested.

On January 22, 1855, Chief Pat Kanim (ca. 1808-1858), representing the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish peoples, made his mark on the Treaty of Point Elliott, just below that of Chief Seattle. With that mark, the three bands agreed to exchange their lands of thick forests, threaded with the three major rivers bearing their names, for cash, and a reservation of land called Tulalip.

First Settlers

One by one, Egbert H. Tucker (1833-1912), Heil Barnes (1828-1910?) and Edson Cady (1828-?) were the first white men recorded as making the 12-mile journey up the dark river that parted the thick forests of giant Douglas-firs and western red cedars. Their mutual goal was to reach the mouth of the Pilchuck River, with the intention of staking claims on both sides of the Snohomish River. This location, where the Pilchuck drains into the Snohomish, was determined by reading rudimentary maps back in the south sound settlement of Steilacoom. Steilacoom was the site of the oldest military fort of the territory, established in 1847. There a group of frontier businessmen drew together over the prospect of providing a ferry service across the Snohomish River for the recently funded military road heading north to Fort Bellingham. The imagined site for the ferry crossing was identified on a later map published by the United States Surveyor General as the Kwehtlamanish Winter Village.

Edson Cady, for reasons lost to history, decided to establish a landing several miles downstream instead, either because of the established Indian camp or because the new site was a better location for a ferry crossing. In any event, Cady applied for a post office permit with the name “Cadyville,” which today is called Cady Landing, a popular boat launch for recreational fishing. Cady also established a trail heading east, eventually crossing the North Cascade Mountain Range at a location still known today as Cady Pass.

Heil Barnes, at the same time, staked a claim for Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) adjacent to Cady’s to the west, where he assembled a small, pre-fabricated cottage on a high bank facing down river, close to where it stands today as a private home, handsomely restored. Built by Ferguson in Steilacoom, the cottage was disassembled and shipped north aboard the side-wheeler Ranger No. 2 in the spring of 1859. Apprenticed as a carpenter in the place of his birth in in Westchester County, New York, Ferguson arrived a year later aboard the same side-wheeler with enough supplies to establish a store.

Meanwhile, across the river, Tucker sold his claim to John Harvey (1828-1886) from England via Seattle. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the Regular Army abandoned both Forts Steilacoom and Bellingham and government funding for the military road dried up, leaving only a muddy trail through the woods stopping at the river’s edge on the south bank. There would be no immediate need for a ferry. Tucker was probably relieved that he got even $50 for his claim after all, Harvey had just received $2,000 for his lakefront claim on the future Lake Washington, and it had been destroyed in the 1856 episode of the treaty wars known as the “Battle of Seattle.”

All of the Steilacoom investors pulled out of the deal except Ferguson -- who went on to become a popular after-dinner speaker with his stories about the founding of Snohomish City, and the county. In an extemporaneous speech given in 1889, Ferguson told his audience that Snohomish County was created "because there were more politicians than there were counties and the matter was adjusted by making another county instead of killing some of the politicians” (Dilgard).

Snohomish County was established on January 14, 1861, when it was separated from Island County, but it was not until July that the votes for the location of the county seat went Ferguson’s way, and he returned from Mukilteo with the county records in his vest pocket, making his little cottage overlooking the river the first county courthouse. The settler population was 49 men and 0 women. But by the time Ferguson built and opened his Blue Eagle Saloon in 1865, Mary and Woodbury Sinclair had purchased the Cady claim and established a store of logging supplies across the steep path to the river.

Mary Low Sinclair (1842-1922), daughter of John and Lydia Low, was one of the youngest members of the Denny Party that arrived at Alki Point in 1851, only 11 years old and now she was the first white woman to take up residence in a riverside landing that was “a small clearing in unbroken timber,” to use her words, and still referred to as Cadyville up and down the river.

River travel settled this place. There were no roads in early Snohomish, only winding, muddy paths cut through the woods. Ferguson reminisced in an interview later in life about his first trip upriver in 1860:

“The Snohomish River was at the time a very weird place, the trees along the banks with their long branches extending out over the river, in many places meeting, with long strings of moss hanging from the branches, which nearly shut out the sunlight” (Dilgard).

The authors of River Reflections (Vol. 1) list the names of 69 steamships that answered the call to move both passengers and freight -- and the mail! The idiosyncrasies of the ships, the personalities of their captains, and the moods of the river were reported on extensively in the newspapers. And if column inches of ink in the Étoile polaire (est. 1876), and later The Eye (est. 1882) were tallied up, the sternwheeler Nellie would come out the favorite.

First Plat and First School

In 1868, Emory C. Ferguson married Lucetta Morgan (1849-1907) from Olympia, Washington, and three years later, they platted their claim, giving streets running east-west a number, and the north-south-running avenues a letter whereas, the following year, Woodbury and Mary Sinclair, named the avenues of their eastern claim after trees. Three months later, on June 5, 1872, Woodbury B. Sinclair (1826-1872) died of unknown causes, leaving Mary to raise two children whose estate now owned half of the newly named city. Her first official act as guardian of the estate was to donate three acres that bordered along the Pilchuck River for the city’s first cemetery formally governed by an association (today the site is suspected to have been a well-established Indian burial ground).

Mary is reverently remembered as the “mother” of Snohomish Schools for opening her home as the first classroom and donating land for the first schools. In 1869, the county superintendent paid Miss Ruby Willard $188.59 for three months of school held in the Sinclair home for some 20 students ranging in ages from 4 to 21. Since many of the children attending school in her home were of mixed marriages, it follows that Mary Sinclair became proficient in the indigenous language and dialects, so much so, that she was often called upon to translate for visiting government officials and reporters. For example, in 1920, when a reporter from Seattle’s Post-Intelligencer called on Snohomish’s most famous Native American resident, Pilchuck Julia, Mary Sinclair went along as translator. The resulting article estimated Julia’s age to be about 80 years: "[S]he is very energetic, cultivates her garden, fishes in the Pilchuck river, and regularly walks to Snohomish, a distance of nearly two miles.” Julia died in 1923.

Atheneum Society

Shortly after Snohomish was officially named and a school begun, a meeting was held “to organize what was one of the most unique and noteworthy literary associations in the early history of Washington territory” (Whitfield). Most likely, the inspirational leader of the Atheneum Society was Dr. Albert C. Folsom (1827-1885), a former army surgeon with experience in the Civil War, who, now in his 40s, arrived in town with a scientific collection of more than 100 fossils, gems, and bones plus, it seems, the first doctor of Snohomish County arrived with a broken heart from a failed marriage back in Wisconsin -- so it was explained upon his death in a moving elegy written by his friend Eldridge Morse (1847-1914), who looked upon Folsom, with his two degrees from Harvard, as a mentor.

Morse, a young lawyer from the Midwest, just happened to fall into a conversation with Ferguson in Seattle, which resulted in him moving his young family to the riverside settlement to become its first lawyer. A month later, Folsom arrived in town, and within two years, the first doctor and the first lawyer of early Snohomish produced the first handwritten newsletter of the Atheneum Society, which continued on a twice-monthly basis for a year and a half and led to the founding of the first newspaper, The Northern Star, in 1876.

Society members also pooled their private collection of books to establish the county’s first lending library, then embarked on the ambitious plan to build a two-story building, named the Atheneum, to house their collection of some 300 books, Folsom’s scientific specimens, and a grand meeting hall on the second floor. The women of early Snohomish supported this vision by somehow purchasing an upright piano, the first one in the city, which is still available for use to this day at the local library.

Snohomish Logging Personalities

The first board milled at the first mill in Snohomish was ceremoniously used in the Atheneum building. The Bennett & Witter Mill began operation on the Pilchuck River in 1876. Ferguson was an owner for a short while but sold it to his father-in-law, Hiram D. Morgan (1822-1906), and the mill was in business well into the new century as the Morgan Brothers Lumber and Shingle Mill.

Isaac Cathcart (1845-1909) most likely arrived in town following a footpath through the forest rather than by steamship. A large-framed Irishman, recently from Michigan, who immigrated in 1864, Cathcart had been working in the county since 1869, felling trees in isolated logging camps. He arrived in town four years later with enough money saved to build the Exchange Hotel at the west end of town. It stood across the street from the unfinished Atheneum building, which he eventually purchased from the suddenly bankrupt society, renaming it the Cathcart Opera House. By 1890, Cathcart owned his own logging business, a store on the first floor of his opera house, and several large farms. He served as county treasurer, eventually becoming the richest man in the county.

The Blackman Brothers -- Alanson, Elhanan, and Hyrcanus -- filed for bankruptcy in Bradley, Maine, and migrated west with their wives -- Elizabeth, Francis and Ella -- to the rich Snohomish River Valley of the new Washington Territory, where the stories of the giant trees must have seemed like tales from the bible. They established their first logging camp around 1875 on Stillaguamish Lake, which today is ringed with expensive homes for the most part and renamed Blackman Lake to honor the first family of Snohomish’s lumber industry. Their first mill was located at the river, west of Avenue D, an easy walk from the lakeside camp.

This mill is where they began cutting shingles with Elhanan’s invention of a tripper shingle machine, in which a carriage holding a block of cedar is tripped by a rachet action, moving the block in and out from the saw, creating a shingle with each pass. Within two years, the mill was producing 10 million shingles a year. The brothers introduced the first drying kiln, used to reduce the weight of the lumber. A dried bundle of shingles, for example, weighs 60 pounds less than a bundle of green ones, and the fact of lower freight charges only increased the popularity of Snohomish’s red cedar shakes on the East Coast.

And to get the huge cedar logs out of the forest, Alanson and Elhanan invented a steam-powered logging engine capable of pulling several loaded log trucks on wooden tracks -- tracks that were quick to install over uneven terrain, and proved very popular with logging operations as far south as Olympia. Hyrcanus, the youngest brother, kept the books and involved himself in the civic affairs of the new town, wining the first election for mayor of the newly incorporated city in 1890 -- receiving 218 votes to Ferguson’s 164.

Hyrcanus died in the home he built at 118 Avenue B in 1921, just a few months after his 37-year-old son Clifford was taken by the 1919 flu epidemic. Eunice, Hyrcanus's and Ella’s only daughter, lived in the home with her husband, Dr. William Ford. Eunice survived William by many years. She died at her daughter’s home in California, but not before agreeing to sell the family home to the newly formed Snohomish Historical Society in 1970.

In Everett's Shadow

The Seattle Héraut reported in 1884 that Snohomish was an old town of about 700 inhabitants, with a two-story courthouse, a new sawmill producing 20,000 feet of lumber each day, one good school building, six saloons, and one church (and that church had a bell). Products as listed by the Héraut were “fruit, logs, hay and skating rinks” -- there were two. When the first train pulled into the new Snohomish station on Lincoln Street four years later, the city boasted a million dollar economy -- fourth largest on Puget Sound.

On May 23, 1888, the four-star, three-story Penobscot Hotel opened and that date should be remembered as the beginning of Snohomish’s life in the shadow of a young town growing to the west. The harbor town was founded by men bringing money from the east -- the same money that paid for their individually heated rooms, the largest one facing 1st Street -- and the men named their nascent town after one of their sons, Everett. Ten years later, in 1897, Snohomish lost the county seat to the ambitious new town following a bitter, three-year contest of civic wills fought in smoky backrooms, voting booths, and the courts, until finally the records were moved to Everett in the middle of night using 37 horse-drawn wagons.

By the beginning of the new century, the handsome courthouse, built of brick from Snohomish’s own brickyard, found new life as the Snohomish High School. It was filled with the sounds of bells and laughter for the next 30 years until it had to come down. The historic first city on the river continued to grow as a logging and agriculture center, while quietly thankful perhaps that it had been spared the worst of urban growth about to arrive via Eisenhower’s National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

E. C. Ferguson’s son, Cecil, and Cecil's wife, Clara, founded the Ferguson Canning Company in 1914 to take advantage of the excellent fruit-growing conditions of the climate and soil. However, the fruit-growing season is short, so the company expanded to preserve in cans corn, smoked fish, and even clams. Innovations continued as Emory A., then his brother Burdett, joined the company, so that by the time the Seattle World’s Fair came around in 1962, they were ready with a new item called “Puget Sound Air” -- a legal canning of air -- sporting an unique label, and now a prized collectors’ item.

Noble Harvey, son of John who took possession of the claim on the south bank in 1860, established a family-owned airfield in 1945, which the family still operates as Harvey Airfield. Noble had a long tradition of firsts beginning with his birth as the first boy born to white parents. In 1911, Nobel purchased the first automobile in the county, the same year he hosted the first airplane flight. Fred J. Wiseman, who held the record for a sustained flight of more than six minutes, arrived by train with his Curtiss-Farman-Wright biplane, billed as the “Fastest Machine in the World” -- once it's unloaded and reassembled of course. Wiseman’s flight in Snohomish was cut short by rain-soaked, fabric-covered wings and it ended in a muddy but safe nose-dive after reaching only 60 feet in altitude. The amazing machine was repaired, continued to break records, and is currently hanging in the Smithsonian Postal Museum as the first plane to carry the mail.

In the late forties, the Poier Motors building at 1105 First Street collapsed into the river due to a foundation compromised by repeated flooding. For some 15 years, the block-long row of brick storefront buildings sat empty, boarded up, until the city planners found some urban renewal funds to study the future of the historic downtown core. The architect’s fancy drawings were finally presented at a citywide meeting on October 21, 1965, and it proposed tearing down the old buildings, opening up the south side of First Street to the river, and remodeling the remaining buildings to give Snohomish the look of an up-to-date riverside mall. The Planning Commission rejected the proposal. Community feelings were probably summed up in one sentence from an editorial in the Snohomish County Tribune that read, “Snohomish hasn’t sunk that low, yet.”

Historic Snohomish Today

This was the same year, 1965, that Snohomish began its growth north by annexing the southern section of the Bickford Corridor named after Bickford Avenue, which in turn is named in honor of the family owned Ford dealership initially located on 1st Street, a block west from Poier’s Chevrolet store. On the eve of Snohomish celebrating 150 years since its founding, the city’s first super shopping mall, Snohomish Station, will open on this road, five miles north of the river on the site of a former gravel quarry. A second high school to the south will be open by then, alongside a new elementary school to serve a school-district population of more than 40,000 students.

And it was the late sixties, after the boarded-up buildings on 1st Street were finally torn down and the riverside park was created in their place, that a group of citizens met in the basement of the 1910 Carnegie Library to start a historical society. This led to the first appointment and election of two women to the city council, Anne Eason and Ione Gale, who successfully supported the society’s proposal to establish Snohomish’s Historic District. Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places Snohomish was the first city government of the county to pass an ordinance establishing such a district. This also led to the establishment of the Design Review Board.

The recently organized Historic Downtown Snohomish organization is working with the national Main Street Program and collecting assessments to re-energize what was once the heart not only of the city but of Snohomish County as well. Today the Snohomish River continues to rise and fall with phases of the moon and drainage of the North Cascade Mountain Range 60 miles to the east, just as each generation walking the River Trail (completed in 2006) will come to understand the river as the gift of nature that created the city of Snohomish.

Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Snohomish River, downriver looking west, with town of Snohomish on north bank, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society, (Image No.FS028)

Snohomish River Trail (completed April 2006), looking west, Snohomish, 2007

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society.

Modified 1855 Government Land Office map showing homesteads, Snohomish City

Courtesy Bureau of Land Management

Snoqualmie Chief Patkanim (ca. 1808-1858), ca. 1855

Photo by George N. Moore, Courtesy MOHAI (SHS1679)

Ferguson's Blue Eagle Saloon (l.), Sinclair/Clendenning store (r.), Snohomish City or Cadyville, 1865

Photo by Sammis, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image SG002)

Snohomish looking north across the river, 1884

Photo by Palace Floating Gallery, Courtesy Everett Public Library (Image No. 0169)

Sternwheeler Nellie, Ferguson's Wharf with Cathcart's Exchange Hotel behind, Snohomish, 1877

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.BO008)

Bruhn and Henry merchants warehouse, located on site of Ferguson's Wharf, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS017)

Snohomish River ferry, looking south, ca. 1885

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. RI-005)

Ferry Alki, first steamship built for river travel, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BO001)

Celebrating harvest at John Harvey's hops barn, Snohomish, 1884

Courtesy Mike Barnhart and Donna Harvey

Emory and Lucetta Ferguson plat, Shohomish, filed 1871

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Woodbury and Mary Low Sinclair's plat, Snohomish, 1872.

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Avenue D at 2nd Street, Snohomish, 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

1st Street looking east at Avenue D, Snohomish, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

Snohomish Atheneum (1876), pictured here after it was sold to Isaac Cathcart, Snohomish, ca. 1878

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS029)

Cover of handwritten newsletter, The Shillalah, Snohomish, 1874

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Athena Papers, acc. 4601)

Eldridge Morse

Courtesy Noel Bourasaw, SkagitRiverJournal.com

Blackman Brothers logging operation, Snohomish, ca. 1880

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.LG053)

Lithograph, Blackman Brothers, 1889

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Blackman Mill on Snohomish River, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton. Snohomish County Museum

Blackman Brothers Railway, with wooden tracks, ca. 1885

Photo by Peiser, Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.RR001)

Hotel Penobscot, Snohomish, 1890

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. 979.595 sm v8)

Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad bridge (1888), Snohomish River, Snohomish, n.d.

Courtesy UW Special Collections (UW18022)

Bruhn and Henry Market, 1st Street, Snohomish, ca. 1890

Photo by Douglas, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FI005)

Cecil Ferguson, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. PE100)

Grocery, Snohomish, ca. 1910

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BU159)

Can of Pure Puget Sound Air packaged by Ferguson Canning Co. (Snohomish) for 1962 World's Fair, 2008

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Gary Ferguson

Fred Wiseman making first airplane flight in Snohomish County, May 7, 1911


Local Case Counts

We update confirmed and probable case numbers for the county and by city weekly. Hospital data is updated each weekday. Depending on when you check the tables, numbers may vary from those reported by the state Department of Health. Because new reports of positive tests come in and disease investigations are done throughout the week, the numbers vary based on when the data is run. Please check the "Data as of" or "Last Updated" note to confirm the most current number.

Case Count (cumulative since Jan. 2020) Last Updated: 2:25 p.m. 6/14/21 Change from 6/07/21
Confirmed 36,963 +298
Probable 3,358 +49
Des morts 603 +6*

Note: “Probable” cases include close contacts of a confirmed case who become symptomatic, positive antigen test, or positive serology/antibody test AND a credible history of COVID-like illness. For full definition of a "Probable" case, please see the Department of Health guidance.

** Based on what is reported to the Health District daily, and a weekly reconciliation with state Department of Health data.

To better align with the Washington State Department of Health’s data dashboard, the Snohomish Health District has incorporated positive antigen results into case reporting.

Effective April 19, the weekly case count update now includes a bar chart with total positive cases for the week broken into molecular and antigen cases. The rolling 2-week case rate has also been updated to incorporate antigen cases going back in time. This recalibration has resulted in a slight increase in rolling 2-week case rates.

Antigen test results are still positive cases, but conducted through rapid tests rather than molecular testing doing at laboratories. This addition of antigen-positive cases is not what’s driving the observed increase in the rolling 2-week COVID rate. The overall increase in case rates is due to increased transmission. Only 18% of confirmed cases over the past month are antigen-positive cases.


Snohomish County Historic Sites

The Places of the Past collection contains annotated photographs documenting the history of the buildings and places of Snohomish County. The Project draws on photograph collections and expertise from county heritage organizations and the Everett Public Library in an Internet-accessible image database format.

The photographs are primarily of individual buildings but may include street views, cultural landscapes, sites of historic events, roadways, or even some historic ships. The images will include but not be limited to places currently on National, State, and local registers and districts of historic places.

This project is sponsored by the League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations and the Everett Public Library. Other contributing organizations include the Everett Historical Commission, Snohomish County Historical Commission, Snohomish County Planning & Development Department, and individual League member organizations.

Hear former Everett Public Library Historian David Dilgard talk about the Snohomish County Courthouse and Forgotten Creek.


Snohomish County: An Illustrated History Book

It took ten years but the amazing book on the history of Snohomish County, Washington, is now available. “Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” features 432 pages packed with geological, environmental, historical, social, and political history of Snohomish County. There are 400 photographs, maps, and topical sidebars with many illustrations by local artist Bernie Webber.

Project coordinators and editors were David Cameron, Charles LeWarne, Allan May, Jack O’Donnell, and Larry O’Donnell. Many contributions were made by local historians, experts, and genealogists to make this the most extensive county historical book ever. The last one was written by William Whitfiled in 1926.

The book is available through the Museum of Snohomish County History (425-259-2022), Pilchuck Books (425-303-0345) and many local stores and shops in Everett, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Monroe, and Marysville.

Having grown up in Snohomish County, the book is especially important to me because of my family’s strong connection with the area.

On the Elwell side of the Knapp family, we can trace our roots back to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish tribe. His sister, Gow-Gue-Wait, our ancestor, married into the Snohomish Tribe. Even today, her descendants live in Snohomish County.

The book talks about the whites struggling for dominance and control of the Pacific Northwest Indians, which eventually resulted in many of the local Indian tribes and peoples being forced onto land set aside for them in the area of Tulalip, which borders Snohomish County to the northwest.

John Elwell (1841-1895), who married Guaquiath Kektidose of the Snohomish tribe and daughter of Gow-Gue-Wait, was among the first men to see the “gold in them thar trees” and helped developing the logging industry. His sons, Charles and Simon Elwell, worked the Snohomish and Skagit Rivers, as well as the whole waterway of Puget Sound building boats and ferries, and hauling logs, supplies, and passengers up and down the rivers.

They are also mentioned on page 112 regarding the building of the town of Monroe, Washington:

Residents also participated in railroad construction activities. Barges 60 feet long and six to eight feet wide were filled with supplies and towed upriver by mules. Two brothers, Simon and Charles Elwell, built a 44-foot canoe to carry materials for railroad construction. Reportedly, the huge craft could hold up to 4,700 pounds.

The Knapp family also has its roots strongly embedded in Snohomish County, marrying into the Elwell, Odell, and Handley pioneer families. The Knapp brothers had grown up in the logging camps of Northern Wisconsin, so they came with experience and strong backs to work the rivers and logging camps with the Elwell family.

The West family also has a long tradition as part of the history of Snohomish County. Howard West Sr. and his son, Howard West Jr., lived their lives in the Pacific Northwest between Oregon and Washington. Howard Sr. called Everett, Washington, his home since not long after World War I. He worked on the lighthouses and dams throughout Washington State for all of his adult life, serving in the Coast Guard and Lighthouse Service, after an early stint with the Marines.

“Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” is a valuable resource to help us understand all of the cultural, political, and societal issues going on during the times of our ancestors. I learned of the political battles that overthrew the town of Mukilteo, where I spent my teenage years, as center of Snohomish County to the town of Snohomish, which was later taken over by Everett, as an open port city and military base, and eventually the home of Boeing.

Snohomish County has a very diverse and mixed history, not all pretty, but not all terrible, and gives us a chance to see what it was like for our ancestors as they struggled to survive in a tough new wilderness.


Washington State Records

Snohomish County recorded 968 violent crimes and 16,463 property crimes in 2015, the most recent year with a complete set of crime statistics. These figures represent a 3.1% increase in violent crimes and an 0.7% drop in property crime over the last year five years. Violent crime incidences in the county in 2015 include 9 murders, 108 rapes, 551 aggravated assaults, and 300 robberies. In the same period, Snohomish County also recorded 2,409 burglaries, 12,090 larcenies, 1,964 vehicle thefts, and 69 arsons.

Compared to 2011 crime data, murder (12.5%), aggravated assault (4.4%), larceny (1%), and vehicle theft (15.9%) rates went up in Snohomish County. The five-year crime trend also reveals lower incidences of rape (12.9%), robbery (7.9%), burglary (17.5%), and arson (28.1%).

In accordance with the state’s Public Records Act, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office makes traffic collision reports and other non-confidential police records available upon request. Use the Public Request Portal to submit a request for these records. The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email requests sent to [email protected] Send a fax request to (425) 388-3939.

Requesters may also visit the Sheriff’s Office in Everett or one of its precincts. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 3000 Rockefeller Avenue, MS 606, 4th Floor Courthouse, Everett, WA. Mail requests should go to this address.

The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for copies of records requested. The fee for scanned copies is 10 cents per page while there is a charge of 5 cents for every four electronic files uploaded via email or cloud storage or transferred to CD, DVD, or flash drive. The Sheriff charges $1.50 for a physical CD, $1.60 for a DVD, and $7 for a flash drive. The fees do not include postage charges for physical records. Cash, check, and money order are acceptable forms of payment. Snohomish County Sheriff waives charges if the total fee for obtaining a record is less than $1.

Criminal Records

In accordance with Washington State Community Protection Act of 1990, the Sheriff’s Office is responsible for registering and tracking sex offenders living in Snohomish County. It contributes these information to a statewide registry and also makes them available to the public. To find registered sex offenders residing and working in Snohomish County, visit the County Sheriff’s OffenderWatch page. The Offender Search portal allows anyone to search the sex offender database by name, city, and zip code. It also provides information about non-compliant offenders.

The Snohomish County Sheriff is the official in charge of maintaining all jail records for the county. Since most inmate records are not public records, the Sheriff’s Office only provides these confidential information directly to inmates and third-party requesters with court orders. To obtain inmate records, complete the Authorization for Release of Inmate Records and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email and fax requests. Email the completed form to [email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-2244. There is a different release form for inmates’ medical records. Print and fill out the Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Health Care Information form and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Medical Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

Alternatively, send an electronic copy of the completed form to [email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-5326. The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for documents that are longer than 10 pages. The fee for each color booking photo is 25 cents while the charge for a CD with electronic files is $1.50. Include postage for paper and CD copies. Accepted forms of payment include cash, cashier’s check, and money order. Make cashier’s checks and money orders payable to Snohomish County Corrections.

While most inmate records are not publicly available, looking up an inmate is a freely available service. Consult the Jail Register on the County Sheriff’s websiteto search for inmates incarcerated in the Snohomish County Jail as well as Lynnwood Municipal Jail and Marysville Municipal Jail.

Dossiers de la Cour

Snohomish County District Court Records are available upon request by mail and in person. For an in-person request, visit any of these four locations of District Court:

Cascade Division (North County)
415 E Burke Ave.
Arlington, WA 98223
Everett Division (Central County)
3000 Rockefeller Ave.
M/S 508
Everett, WA 98201
Evergreen Division (East County)
14414 179th Ave. SE
Monroe, WA 98272
South Division (South County)
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

All four locations are open to the public from Monday to Friday between 8:15 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. For mail, email, and fax requests, start by downloading and completing the Request for Court Records form. Email it to Public Disclosure at [email protected] or fax it to (425) 388-3411 x6999. When making a request by mail, send the completed form to:

Snohomish County District Court
Public Relations Officer
Shawnee Schaeffer
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

The District Court charges 50 cents per page for non-certified copies of court records. For certified copies of a court record, there is a $5 for the first page and $1 per page for the rest of the document.

The Superior Court Clerk is the official responsible for maintaining the records of Snohomish County Superior Court. The Clerk provides online access to the court’s electronic records on the Washington State Digital Archives. Available records include documents for civil, adult criminal, domestic, and probate/guardianship cases. Requesters need to provide case numbers to find the right records in the Archives. They can find these numbers using the Washington Courts – Records Search portal.

There is a $1 access fee when obtaining records through the Digital Archives. Non-certified copies attract an additional 50 cents per page charge. For certified copies, requesters have to pay $5 for the first page and then $1 for each additional page plus $5 per 50 pages for mailing.

Documents publics

The Vital Records Office of the Snohomish County Health District issues birth and death certificates for the county. To obtain one of these records, visit the Vital Records Office located at 3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104, Everett, WA. The office opens between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. To fulfil an order on the same day, requesters must arrive at the office no later than 4:00 p.m.

To request for these vital records by mail, download and complete a Birth Certificate Order Form or a Death Certificate Order Form. Mail this to:

Vital Records Office
3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201

The Vital Records Office accepts cash, check, and debit/credit cards for in-person requests. Only check and money order are accepted for mail requests. Make these payable to Snohomish Health District. The fee for each birth or death certificate is $20. The Health District also charges $8 for records searched for but not found.

The Snohomish County Auditor’s Office issues certified copies of marriage records. The office is on the first floor of the Robert J. Drewel Building and opens from Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The County Auditor also accepts mail requests sent to:

Snohomish County Auditor’s Office
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 204
Everett, WA 98201

The County Auditor charges $3 for each certified copy of a marriage license. There is an additional charge of $8 for searching marriage records made before 1976. Mail requests should include 50 cents for postage and handling. Fees are payable by check made out to Snohomish County Auditor.

Snohomish County Record Availability

Snohomish criminal, law enforcement, court, and vital records are available online and/or physically. Some of these records are only accessible after paying certain fees and/or completing application forms. Overall, the ease of finding and obtaining public records for Snohomish County is moderate. Consider using a time-saving online record-finder servicesuch as the search function offered by State Records when looking for elusive records for the county.


The Edmonds Historical Museum is a private non-profit organization established in 1973 by volunteers to collect, preserve and display the historical origins of the City of Edmonds and surrounding area. As an actively collecting institution, the Edmonds Historical Museum has amassed over 26,000 objects, documents, and photographs representing the history and heritage of Edmonds and the greater south Snohomish County area.

The museum is located in Edmonds’ historic 1910 Carnegie Library building at 118 5th Avenue North. This building served as the local library from 1911 until 1962, and from 1962 until 1972 was used by the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. On August 3, 1973, the Edmonds Historical Museum opened its doors to the public and serves as a repository for community donations of historic items as well as a showcase of exhibits related to local and regional history.

Though the museum’s mission has evolved over time, we are still dedicated to the core values of our origins: sharing and promoting the history of our community. This is achieved through research, collection and preservation of historical documents, artifacts, memories and events, and by utilizing interpretative displays and engaging in creative public educational programming.


Voir la vidéo: Moving To Snohomish County Washington. Living Near Seattle (Août 2022).